Friday 16 February 2007

Butterick 6768 review

Pattern Description:
Butterick Decription:
MISSES' TOP
Semi-fitted, wrap top has collar/sleeve/length variations, tie ends and narrow hem. A,B: tucks, side slits. B: above-elbow sleeves. A,C: collar, long sleeves. D: below-elbow sleeves. A,C,D: button cuffs. Purchased bottom.
My description
Wrap blouse with sleeve, collar and wrap options
Pattern Sizing:
(6 8 10) (12 14 16) (18 20 22)
I had the 12 to 16 and used the 16 which was quite snug, I probably needed the next size.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Reasonably given how much I deviated!
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions show the different options side by side which is useful if you have chosen a different combination from one of their views but is a little hard to follow if you are doing one view.
I did not like their back neck method for the collared blouses and repalced it with a clean serged seam.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love wrap over styles. I have a rectangular upper body with wide shoulder, smallish bust and a bit of a tummy.Wrap tops can be really flattering for this shape as the wrappy bits hide the tum, the crossover makes the most of the bust and the diagonal lines add more curves than are there.
Fabric Used:
A high quality print polyester blouse/dress fabric. I don't usually go for polyester but the print is lovely and the fabric has a lovely mottled finish with a sheen.
It was tough to iron on the interfacing though and quite a challenge to press. I also used twice as many pins as usual when sewing it as the lower layer crept a lot and the edges went to one side. The upside of this is I won't ever look crumpled and I think it will turn out to be very hardwearing.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I chose a combination of elements which is not on any of the views and this caused me some trouble!
I wanted the collar, 3/4 length sleeves, longer wrapped front and the wide ties. It took me a long time to find a working pattern layout on the fabric as I was not following any of their views. And then when sewing I reapplied the wide tie 3+ times to the front as I had to work out my own pleating and placing instructions. I also found the longer tie is not long enough with the other views fronts as they are not as wide (maybe this was worse as it was a snug fit). The longer tie which wraps all around the back therefore became the buckle strap instead and I then threaded the shorter tie through the buckle. This give a flattering look which I am happy about.
I found the non buckle side of the wrap gaped slightly so I added a couple of hidden tucks and shortened the facing accordingly. The other side was less critical as you can pull any excess into the buckle to get a snug fit.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Even the slightly longer version is shorter than I would like, so I will sew it again but I will lengthen the body. I think wrap over blouses work on lots of bodyshapes amd give a nice feminine look. There are no buttons and no zips just the tie so could be good for a beginner wanting a slightly more complex project.
Conclusion
This is part of my Timmel 2007 SWAP and also co-ordinates with loads of other stuff in my wardrobe. I plan to make a simple matching skirt so I can also have a dress look as well woo hoo.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Your blouse turned out great. Love the print. Teal is a favorite color of mine. I was mentally putting the blouse with the other SWAP garments you have completed and it seems to go with all the bottoms you have made. I would really like to see it with the multigored swishy skirt. You are making great progress!