Saturday 16 December 2006

1st garment


I started sewing the first garment on Wednesday 13th December.
Using Butterick 3972, the view on the right shown in tan almost ankle length, I am sewing this in a light weight denim which is dark indigo blue one side and medium brown the other. I'm using flat fell sewms rather than the construction methods in the instructions as I want this to be my reversible garment for the competition and I have shortened it very slightly. Once shortened (at waist and hem) I was astonished to find that it could be cut from a piece of 150 cm fabric just over a metre (1.1m) which makes it a great candidate for using up large scraps).
Another view uses several contrasting fabrics in similar colour ways, so again a great way of using similar weight/content fabric scraps.

I think I will do a simple serged hem (testing on scraps first to see which side looks less obvious, and then cut the very top of the skirt again to make a casing which can be semaed at he waist to keep the colours right on both sides (we've been on a day today trip to see family before Christmas but hope to finish this Monday evening, and I'll then post a photo.

Here's the finished skirt, showing both sides , the colour is slightly off from the flash, but hopefully you can see it is brown one side and dark indigo blue the other.

No comments: